In the world of selling and relationships with clients there are many logical steps, strategies and processes to increase your bottom line.
However, I bet I have one that you have NEVER heard of.
As someone who considers herself a gourmet chef (OK....an amateur gourmet chef!) I absolutely lovvvvvvvvvvvvve cooking for people.
In my spare moments - you'll find me with my nose buried in an ancient and musty Joy of Cooking recipe book or one of the latest from the bookstore. (I am a HUGE fan of Nigella Lawson!)
There is something about whipping eggs, chopping carrots and creating a masterpiece that relaxes me (or is it the red wine?) Ha.
I take great pride in having a table set that is a feast for your eyes as well as your palate.
So What Does Cooking Have To Do With Selling - Ms. Martha Diva?
Well I have a personal rule when I accept a client.
In my mind they have to pass a very important FILTER before I will work with them.
What is it?
Whether I invite them or not - in my mind they have to be worthy of a...
"Meal Prepared By Kim"
Now I have hundreds of clients so it isn't physically possible to invite everyone! However, I still run them through my "Mental Guest List" to see if they would be Pavlova worthy.
The 6 Qualities Of A Perfect Diva Dinner Guest:
1. Fakes Need Not Apply. I am a BAN the PLASTIC MARGARINE and go for the BUTTER kind of girl! So if someone comes across as a fake to me - then sorry. You're not invited.
2. Lots of ZEST. I lovvvvve lemon and when a potential client has loads of zest and passion for their business then consider yourself a firm candidate for a potential Diva Dinner.
3. No McShortcuts. If a potential client wants the MAGIC PILL without doing the work then I know they won't pass the Mental Guest List!
4. Fresh Ideas Abound. I love working with people who are excited about their business and all of the aspects that are involved. Stale bread doesn't interest me unless it's a breadcrumb.
5. Loves Trying New Things. Oh boy - this is a BIG ONE. As I am an experimental "chef" in sales and in life - you had better be prepared for trying new things. If that scares you then stick with Kraft Dinner.
6. Appreciation. Just as a the best guest is someone who comes with an appetite, loves to eat really good food and moans with joy through-out the meal - I only work with clients who absolutely savor the experience with me and who want more!